Kejetia market reopens after fire outbreak
The traders objected when the authorities first wanted to close the entire market for a week in order to conduct an inquiry into the fire outbreak.
Vice President Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia announced that the Ghana National Fire Service was able to determine that the incident was not caused by an electrical problem.
This entails that locations unaffected by the fire can resume normal business operations while the afflicted area is still under investigation.
Merchants at Kumasi Central Market tell Bawumia that 2024 is for him.
The traders working the numerous stalls at the Kejetia market greeted the Vice President as Dr. Bawumia accompanied him on a tour of the marketplace today.
ALSO CHECK: Rashford, Mason Mount, and Nick Pope exit the England team before the Euro 2024 qualifying round
On Monday, March 20, Vice President Bawumia went to the market to see for himself how the fire was spreading there.
In his speech, Dr. Bawumia gave the traders at the Kejetia Market the assurance that the market would be open for business on March 21, 2023, in contrast to a prior announcement by facility administrators that the closure would be prolonged.
They stated that the announcement is a huge relief for them after the factory was shut down by the authorities so that the cause of last week’s fire could be investigated.
The traders’ desire that the area must be allowed for business so that the damaged establishments can be dealt with as an individual instance led to Vice President Bawumia’s pledge.
The Vice President also gave facility users the assurance that President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo Addo is ready to assist the traders and make their lives more easier.
Dr. Bawumia gave them his word that the government would provide them with some funding so they could resume their operations.
He did this after touring the Kejetia Market complex to assess the damage’s scope and express sympathy for the vendors.
In his remarks to the traders, he stressed the significance of trading activity in reviving the market.
“I am aware that the lack of business is what troubles you [traders]; the market’s closure is a significant problem.
The fire department claims that they are aware of what occurred, that there was no electrical malfunction, that everything has been investigated, and that the market will reopen the following day.
When the cause of the fire was identified as a dealer who was cooking so close to combustible items, he asked the traders to exercise caution in the market to prevent such incidents in the future.
“We went to the scene of the fires, and 33 stores were completely destroyed. I’ve enquired as to why. Investigations to date, so I’ve been told, seem to indicate that someone may have been using gas to cook in his shop. The fire originated there.
Turpentine, gunpowder, and other combustibles that caused market explosions are also sold in other nearby stores.